Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Life Update

Howdy, guys.

My last post was deeply theological.

This one, not so much.

I'm sitting on the couch in Reed Hall right now, and I'm bored to tears. My roommate has gone home to get a convertible for BCM formal tomorrow, which is pretty cool but leaves me all by myself in this giant, unimpressive suite of a dorm room. I thought maybe I would have some fun by watching the Hawks tonight, but alas...the stupid Heat beat them. I miss the good old days when the Heat couldn't beat anybody. Then they had to go and get Dwayne Wade and mess everything up.

I got offered a job for the summer. It was a commission-only job that would have had me in another state (most likely VA) for the entire stretch of my summer vacation. There was the potential to make a crapload of money, but there was also the guarantee of not being a camp counselor. There was the guarantee of not being able to go on a mission trip with my second family at HBC. There was the guarantee of not being able to work the two Vacation Bible Schools that I know and love. There was the guarantee of me being miserable and wanting to come home. I understand that I could've made a lot of money, but there is a difference between price and cost, and in this case the cost of me going exceeded the price they would pay me.

Pariah is over. I'm not quite sure I know how to handle that. I could probably write an entire post about this last season, about how I was miserable at the beginning and now that it's over I'm kind of miserable because we're at the end, but I don't want to remind myself of all the things that make me miss it so much. We won a World Championship in the PIO class...it still hasn't really registered with me yet. I never thought I'd be a World Champion of anything, but here I am. I can touch the gold medal hanging on my bedpost and prove to myself that I'm not dreaming. I can't however see my new friends every weekend like I had gotten used to doing. I hadn't planned on going back to Pariah next year, but depending on the way money and my calendar work out, I'm going to give it one heck of a try.

Speaking of calendars, I've fallen in love with all of the Google applications. I spent a few hours today introducing myself to Google Reader and Google Docs. Google Docs is going to save my life...I can see that coming now. Google Reader is a pretty dang good RSS reader, and I'm thinking I need to get my External HDD out and upload all of my pictures to Google Photos, if only for the reason that they store full quality pictures and have a print service. My Google Calendar has evolved to contain all of my Facebook events, almost every UGA BCM calendar that exists, my nostalgic Pariah Calendar (that I hope I will see stuff on come next year), and the UGA master calendar. As soon as I get Johnny Napalm 2.0 fixed, my little mini-iCal is going to explode with happiness at all of its new information.

I'm really excited about being on BCM Discipleship Team for next year. We've got five guys on the team and a whole lot of girls, and I was really impressed with all of them. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous, but the nerves will be good. They'll keep my humble. It really excites me to see so many people excited about teaching and learning from the other people in their group. I've waited for two years to be on leadership team, and it's finally here. YAY!

The price of me being on leadership team? Redcoats. I'll miss it, but I don't really have any regrets. I've really done pretty much everything I ever set out to do in music. I mean, what do you do after winning a World Championship? I guess I could win another one, but you get the point. I'm going to find some way to stay involve with my drumline brothers and sisters though. I'm going to talk to Jarvis sometime next week about taking over the website and getting it updated. I think if I get the info, I can get the site updated to current date in a week or two. That's going to involve a lot of member profile making. I'm thinking about adding a Twitter hub to it as well...something like having a main page that just links to members' Twitter accounts so that people visiting can see what's happening in the lives of UGA drumline members. That part has the potential to be really cool. There are also lots of photos to be uploaded, as well as some videos that I'm sure exist and would be cool to have online.

Anyway, that's a schizophrenic, topic-to-topic update of what I'm doing right now. More updates to come.

No comments: